Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas from the Durrs!


We probably won't be sending out Christmas cards this year so this will have to do for our Christmas card. This has been the hardest year for our family ever. Ryan was deployed last Dec right before Christmas to Kuwait for a year. It was one of the most challenging things I have ever had to go through. It wasn't all bad though. We got to talk to Daddy a lot on skype on the phone. He sent the kids books with DVD's of him reading the story. We had some fun too while Daddy was away. We took two big roads trips, one west, one east. And we traveled all over Texas. (Pictures will follow) We had lots of visitors too! Thanks to my sister Heidi, my mom and Dad, my in-laws and my good friend Maggie for coming to keep us company. There were so many wonderful people around here that were always there for us whether it be holidays or babysitting or just keeping me company. I have to say we were taken care of. I actually didn't have to take either of my kids to the ER once during the deployment. Deployment does seem to be the time that everything goes wrong. I did have to call poison control for Jack twice though. Crazy stuff did happen. While Daddy was away Jack weaned and potty trained. He's such a big boy now. Caroline started kindergarten and started reading! It is always adventurous with two little ones around. But I know I we only made it through this because of the strength we received from the Lord. I am so grateful for the blessings bestowed upon us this year. While all this craziness was going on at home, it seemed Ryan was relaxing in the desert. He was promoted to SGT while he was in Kuwait. I was sad I missed it but still happy for him. But I really do think it was harder for him, because he was away from us and had less to do. R&R was in Sept. and it was so wonderful. I did have to pick up Ryan from DFW airport which is always an adventure and I was lost and so anxious, I just knew something was going to go wrong. I had no idea where I was even going. All I was given was a time, no flight number or where to meet him. Luckily the ladies in the parking toll booth knew. I arrived maybe 5 minutes before Ryan walked off the plane. It was one of the most wonderful moments in my life. We spent the next 4 days in fort worth and we had so much fun just the two of us. The kids were so happy to see him. Jack had been wondering what happened to Daddy and was so excited to finally find him. We had a great time. It was hard to see him leave but I was still happy and excited because we found out right before he left that we were expecting!! We will have a new member of the family in May of next year. Of course the last three months of deployment were filled with morning sickness and tiredness and not as much fun as the first 9 months of the deployment. But I had awesome visiting teachers and home teachers who helped me out so much. And a great neighbor who would take Caroline to school for me if I needed. Anyway it is finally over and we are looking forward to what this year brings. We will have a new baby and will be getting out of the army and leaving the hood. But we are excited for all the changes to come our way! Merry Christmas and I hope everyone has a wonderful year to come!





 Ryan doin ghis job in Kuwait
 This is what they spent their time doing.
 Ryan at his promotion
 First speech as Sgt. Durr.
 Ryan and his weapon.  He was given the biggest one for some reason.
Just another day in the desert.
 Ryan's homecoming.  Happy Wife!
 The Kids were happy to see Daddy too!
No one cared about Mommy anymore now that Daddy was home!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for Baby #3! :) For some reason, I just saw this post. I'm bad. Love you guys! Glad you guys are back on the same continent together again.

    ReplyDelete